Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Last Day of Corporate America

Today is a happy but also a somewhat sad day for me. Two weeks ago I gave notice to my current employer that I would be leaving to pursue a new career - one that is free of cubicles and bureaucracy (at least I hope it is).

Well today was bittersweet. I work with such good and talented people. They have been my close friends while we transitioned to Charlotte and now I am leaving them behind. This day is exciting because I am venturing into a brave new world but it is sad because I am doing it alone and I will miss my daily chats with my co-workers who are also my friends.


We celebrated my last day by going as a department to a museum in uptown Charlotte and having a fajita bar catered for us. My co-workers did a wonderful thing for me. They know that I have 2 passions and they gave me 2 wonderful gifts. One passion is reading and they provided me with a gift card to Barnes & Noble. My other passion is quotes and they gave me a journal in which each of them wrote their favorite quote and a note for me. This is by far one of the best gifts I have ever received.


This morning on the radio I heard a quote that sums up my overall feelings: It is better to try and fail than to never try and always wonder "What if?" So with that I move forward. I will be working as the creative director for a presentation coaching company based out of Nashville. While this company builds clients I will work for free. To supplement this I will also be building my freelance business. This is the best time for me to do this and I don't want to look back in 10 years and regret not trying because I was afraid of failing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...