Thursday, May 17, 2007

Communication Addiction

My 21-year-old brother is spending the next 6 weeks in New Zealand on a mission trip with his university. Yesterday he posted this on his facebook notes: 
So I have:
...no phone/text 
...no personal computer
...no tv
...no car
...no music
...no summer hot time

I feel like I am at a drug rehabilitation center or detox center for some reason. Well we do have these routine schedules that we follow and we do these service projects and have devos and meetings and talk about our feelings a lot. It's just so weird to only have internet really to contact people I guess we humans have become to interconnected for our own good. I think this will have a positive effect on me. I think everyone once in a while to remove one's self from one's life and just breath and not worry. And I guess that's what I'm doing.
His observations got me to thinking about my own life. I can barely go on a weekend getaway with my husband without taking my laptop. I constantly want to know what is going on with my family, friends, business, the world, etc.

It is strange to me that I put off getting a cell phone until several years after college. Now my husband and I do not even own a home phone line. In general it is good to be connected. I can be online in North Carolina and my brother can be online talking to me simultaneously in New Zealand. The world sure has gotten smaller.

Some days I need to make more of an effort to "unplug" from it though. Maybe this weekend, I will leave my laptop at home when I go camping...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...