Monday, April 30, 2007

Paralyzed by Fear

Have you ever been paralyzed by fear? You know, the kind of fear that keeps you awake at night. The kind that makes you feel numb, like you are unable to move forward or breathe? I used to think that I was immune to this kind of fear. 

The first time that I truly experienced and owned this fear was when I learned how to rock climb. I remember being about half way through my climb and not being sure where to go next. My husband was below me belaying and I was terrified of falling. Even though I knew that the ropes were secure. I was so afraid that I could not move forward. I also could not come down. I was petrified of falling. In the end I did fall. It was such an intense relief to fall. When I started to lose control and the ropes held me, I had this incredible sense of freedom from my fear. Once I fell I was able to conquer my fear and move on. I knew that I was safe and that the fear was unwarranted. In rock climbing you have to fall in order to learn.

Sometimes I feel this fear in life. I wake up and I am not sure how to proceed. My self-confidence dwindles and I feel an overwhelming urge to do nothing. Somehow my mind tricks me into thinking that in doing nothing I am safe. When the truth is that to do nothing is to be stuck. Like being stuck on the side of a mountain. You can't stay hugging the rock forever. You have to move. You may fall but you must always keep going.

What are your fears? Are they keeping you from achieving something great with your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...