Sunday, July 29, 2007

Christmas In July

Today I participated Christmas in July - an activity where the congregation I worship with provided lunch and gifts to a men's homeless shelter in downtown Charlotte. The shelter is called The Charlotte Rescue Mission and it is for recovering alcoholics who are also homeless.

My specific role was to help cook and serve lunch to 130 men. I, along with 9 others, donned santa's hats and joyfully wished everyone a "Merry Christmas" as we served them lunch. The men got a kick out of us - wishing us a "Merry Christmas" and "Happy New Year" in return. After lunch, we mingled with the men before gifts were passed out.


This was my first visit to a homeless shelter. I was amazed that this particular group of men were so seemingly "normal." I realize that this is not the norm and that some homeless people have severe problems, but it was a good first experience for me and I was definitely touched today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...