Friday, November 02, 2007

Lessons from Junior Prom

This is my story of what I learned from my Junior Prom. Actually it is about my experience of convincing my parents that I should be allowed to go to this special dance.

My story actually goes back further than Junior Prom. Growing up, I was not allowed to attend dances. When I was in the 5th grade, my friends were pressuring me to go to a school dance, so I asked my mom and she said I could go (notice that I did not ask my dad). Anyways, I walked with my friends to the school and while we were still in the parking log, my dad showed up to take me home.

Move forward about 5 years to my Junior Prom. I was 16 and really wanted to go. I wanted the experience of this special night. I wanted to share in the event with my friends and I wanted my parents to trust me enough to go to this dance.

I sat down and did some serious thinking. I actually wrote out every possible scenario of what might "go wrong" in the mind of my parents and I wrote out arguments for all of those scenarios. I practiced what I would say for three days. And then I gingerly approached my mom with my argument.

I remember sitting at the kitchen table with her and having a solid answer for every one of her concerns. To be honest, I think she was shocked that I had thought everything out so thoroughly. After our talk, she told me that I had convinced her, but that I was going to have to talk to my dad as well.

I was secretly hoping that by presenting my case to her she would present my case to my dad and I would be home free. This was not the case. So I worked up my courage, and asked my dad to come talk with me and my mom.

I was so nervous, especially thinking about my experience from 5th grade. I have never been so shocked as when I asked my dad if I could go to my Junior Prom and without much thought he said, "Yes." I almost fell out of my chair! I had earned my parent's trust and I was allowed to attend my prom.

From this experience I learned several lessons:
  1. If you really want something, don't be afraid to go after it.
  2. Always be prepared.
  3. Find allies.
  4. Earn trust from people and then make sure to work hard to keep that trust.

2 comments:

  1. Nice story! Glad it worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that! And yes, I was shocked at how thoroughly you were prepared! And I remember being shocked that your dad said yes!!

    ReplyDelete

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...