Saturday, February 09, 2008

The Number Three and Being Local

Over the years, it seems that as I have moved and adapted to living or being in new places with new people, it has generally taken me about three years (on average) to feel like I really belong somewhere.

I was in my junior year in high school before I really felt like I was a part of things. It was my junior year of college when my friendships and experiences really began to cement themselves. We had been in Cookeville, TN for close to three years when it finally began to feel like home. And now we are coming up on three years in Charlotte, NC and everything is really beginning to feel right in the world.


In Charlotte, very few people are truly local. It is rare to meet someone who grew up here. Due to the transience of the city, if you have lived here for more than three years you are pretty much considered a local. I finally feel like a local because of our experience eating out last night.


We have now lived here long enough to have favorite restaurants that we frequent. Most of these places have staff that recognize us and talk with us. Last night, we ate at Wolfman's Pizza in Cotswald (our favorite pizza place in Charlotte). There is one guy who is ALWAYS working there. He is super friendly and he always recognizes us.


Last night when he came by our table to chat, our conversation was no longer about the weather or how good the food was. It was no longer the conversation of mere acquaintances that happen to see each other once or twice a month, but more like conversation one would have with an old friend. We felt like locals and that is a wonderful feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...