Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Bike Commute Log

Yesterday Daniel and I rode our bikes to work together. Biking had been on hold for me because of teaching, but I am finally getting around to doing it.

We rode to the bus stop together, about a mile, and rode the express bus into downtown - this saves us from getting sweaty in the mornings. I went to the Y to shower and change and biked about half a mile from the Y to work.


Around 5 p.m. Daniel called to ask me what I thought about riding in lightening... we both looked at the radar and figured the storm was heading north and we were biking south so we would be okay.


I met Daniel at LandDesign and we started out of town. We meandered over to East Blvd and decided to stop at Big Daddy's to eat dinner. This was a good choice since it soon started to pour and thunder and lightening. We waited out the storm and once the lightening had passed, we got on our way.


Riding in the rain was cold, but thankfully the rain only lasted for about 10 minutes of the ride - enough for us to get soaked.


I had my first encounter with road rage. This was rather unpleasant. A guy in a vehicle screamed a bunch of obscenities at me as he drove by - something to the effect of "get out of the road." The guy must have been INSANE as the road had 2 lanes going in each direction and I was in no way hogging the road and there was NO TRAFFIC in the road. I pay my taxes for roads, just like he does AND that section of road actually had a bike lane. It is unfortunate that some drivers are so stupid.


Overall the ride went well. With all of our meandering, our ride home was probably just under 12 miles.


On a completely unrelated note, 7 engineers at Daniel's company were laid off yesterday due to the company not having enough work. Thankfully Daniel was not among the 7, but this has us a bit shaken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...