Saturday, May 24, 2008

Strange Sounds in the Night

Last night I woke up around 3 and could have sworn that I heard a baby crying outside. Shortly after, it sounded like an angry cat and then a baby again. I was woken up 2 more times by this strange sound.

This morning I told Daniel about what I heard. Then sometime after 9 he heard it too. We looked outside to see a cat that seemed to be guarding one of our vehicles. I figured there might be kittens, so we went outside to investigate.


We got too close and soon 3 full grown cats were fleeing from under the vehicle. They continued to make this awful crying noise. It sounded so much like a baby, that we checked under the car to make sure there wasn't a baby there.


The cats all watched us warily from our deck. Two in particular really seemed to make a lot of noise - it was like they were yelling at each other.


Throughout the day we continued to see and hear these cats as they wandered around the neighborhood. All of the neighborhood cats seem to think our yard is their own personal haven, even though we don't feed them. Maybe it is time to get a dog.


Back to the noises... I called my dad to find out why a cat would make such awful sounds. He said that it is probably the males fighting over a female that is in heat. Also that wild cats (like bobcats) make crying noises that sound like a human baby crying. Although he had never heard a domestic cat do it. These cats definitely sound like human babies screaming. I think that tonight we will sleep with the windows closed...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...