Thursday, July 31, 2008

Family ShinDig

I have to confess that I get a little nervous about every family event that I plan and this weekend is no exception - you just never know how things are going to turn out. Mostly they go smoothly, but that doesn't mean I don't worry.

Technically this is my 5th big family event to plan. The first was my wedding. This involved 28 (I think) people from my family and about 10 people from our wedding party staying in 5 cabins in
Cedars of Lebanon State Park.

The second was a summer getaway to Gatlinburg with 12 people, a bird and a dog in one cabin.


The third was Christmas in Gatlinburg with 19 people and one on the way, all in one cabin. This was probably my favorite experience - especially getting to decorate the tree and bake cookies with all of the little girls (who are getting to be more grown up everyday).


Last year was my first official time planning the Lock Family Reunion. After much research, we settled on
Lake Cumberland Resort in Kentucky as the "halfway point" for the Canadian and American residents of our family. It is not a true halfway point as one of my cousins lives really far north, but it was as close as I could come for a middle point for my mom and her four siblings. This long weekend in August included 35 people in 3 cabins.

This year we are again going to Kentucky. This time with 18 people in 2 cabins - our family is getting big and with gas prices and time shortages, it is getting harder and harder to get our growing family of almost 40 to come all together at once.


Anyways, I hope and pray that this weekend goes well. I am sad that not everyone will be able to join us this year, but that is life... we are not always able to make the trek to Canada, so this is something that I fully understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...