Friday, August 22, 2008

Death of a logo...

This is me venting:
About a month ago (maybe longer), I pitched 2 logo variations to a client. One incorporated clean, modern looking rings and a modern typeface. The other was a handrawn (sketched) icon with a very organic font. I did a good job at selling them on the rings, but they really liked the more organic font and wanted me to combine the two. My boss, put his foot down and said that to combine them would be to create a platypus - something that exists, but is kinda ugly.

So that brings us to today. I have been working for a couple of weeks now to make the modern rings more organic feeling. I used water colors to create a set of rings that looked more like the ripples of water (the point of what we were trying to convey).


Long story short, here are the comments from the client via a conference call... *Note there are 4 people on their end giving us advice/comments:


"Well, we don't really see the circles as rings of water. We just see circles."

"Actually, the overlap of circles reminds me of Mickey Mouse."

"Can we just go back to the original rings? And then can you add that more organic font with it?"

"Here, I'll show you what I mean. I am sending you an email where I, you know, used the circles from the first clean-looking logo and the font from the first organic-looking logo. Can't you just do it like?"


---------------------------------------------------------


Can someone please shoot me now???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...