Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Library Truck - feel good kind of story

Most mornings, I spend some time listening to NPR. It is one of the few ways that I hear the news (outside of my internet browsing). I especially enjoy the stories that are about local things that are going on. NPR has generally been a good source of interesting news to me.

The other day when driving to work, they shared a story about a truck that travels to the poor areas of Charlotte. It plays the music of an ice cream truck, but when the children come running, they receive a free book instead of a cold treat.


The books are given to them so that they can grow their personal libraries. These are children that would probably never have the opportunity to have personal books in their home otherwise. I believe the library is the only one in the country to implement such a program. There hopes are that these children will realize that they can get a library card and have unlimited access to free books.


Click
here to listen to the entire story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...