Sunday, August 10, 2008

Observation About Friendship

Last night my best friend from high school called me. Neither of us are big "phone people" and haven't talked on the phone or seen each other in more than six years. Email has been off an on as we have both been generally busy with our own lives.

It amazes me that we can just pick up where we left off. I feel that we are still great friends. In an hour you can only scratch the surface of catching up, but it really doesn't matter. What matters is that we will always be good friends, no matter how much time goes by.

I have college friends who I have experienced the same thing with. Part of me feels like it will be awkward when we finally pick up the phone, but it never is. It is the same with my family - I really only see some of my extended family once a year, but when we get together it is like we were never apart - I am so very thankful for these relationships that are way beyond being surfacy. They are just pure, genuine friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...