Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Rain, Rain, Go Away

Image of a street in Charlotte this morning. 
In case you can't tell, that is an almost completely submerged car that you are seeing...
I am actually quite thankful for the rain, we have been in a drought for some time, so several days of rain is much needed.

However, this morning, we woke up to having big puddles on our dining room floor where the rain had made its way through the window. It evidently rained so hard last night that it found a way in. So before leaving for work, we were frantically mopping up water and laying fresh towels out in case it rains some more. Now we question whether we need to go ahead and replace our windows (which we don't have time to do right now) or just wait and hope more big storms don't come through.


Then on the way to work this morning, we heard on the traffic report that 2 of the major roads (Monroe and Independence) we use to come into town were closed due to flooding. So we wandered as far as we could through neighborhoods to avoid most of Randolph (which we figured would be pretty bottle necked).


There was one section of neighborhood road closed due to flooding, but we found a way around it. Then we wandered through Grier Heights before coming out at Randolph right where there was a creek. Amazingly the creek was not yet flooded over the road, but it was significantly above its banks and flooding the areas next to it.


If we get any more major rain, I wonder if we will be stuck downtown since all major roads leaving downtown seem to cross creeks.


We received 2 phone calls on the way in, one from one of Daniel's co-workers who had gotten lost trying to find a way through neighborhoods and another from Daniel's dad who said that the news was reporting that we received 10 inches of rain last night!


Our meandering through neighborhoods was a good choice because it only took us 35 minutes to get to work and so far, I am the only person who is here from my department and there didn't seem to be a lot of people at LandDesign when I dropped Daniel off.


Update: It took most of my co-workers who lived in a similar area of town as me close to 2 hours to get to work this morning due to all of the road closures because of flooding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...