Saturday, February 07, 2009

Wondering...

I just found out that one of my co-workers and friends was laid off yesterday. Makes me a little sick. I have been waiting for this day to come (actually I suppose I have been waiting for much worse), but it still sucks for it to start happening closer to home. Granted Daniel has been dealing with the ongoing layoffs at work since August, but it is still hard.

The selfish part of me is frustrated that we won't be buying a second vehicle or the new furniture that I want for my basement any time soon. Instead we will be socking away extra "just in case." I am thankful that we are capable of living off of one salary and will have all debt (sans school loans and mortgage) paid off soon. But these (selfish) things do not make the sadness of seeing others lose jobs or the fear of losing a job any less real.


I keep wondering if it is even possible for our country to dig out. What is really going to happen? What happens when job loss spirals out of control and job loss begets job loss? How much more are we in for? What will we (when I say we, I mean collectively as a nation) do? Anyways, these are just some of the thoughts that have been churning around in my mind lately. I am sure that I am not alone in these thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...