Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Cheap Date

Daniel and I are pretty cheap. We always have been. When we were first married and literally had no money we would go hiking or camping on the weekend b/c it was basically free (gas was cheaper in those days).

We have continued to be frugal, but now that we are back to being a one-salary household, we are cutting out even more. First to go is my one visit to Starbuck's a week (guilty pleasures are not allowed when you are cutting back). We also planned to cut out all eating out. However, tonight we broke that rule and went to Moe's where we split a Joey Bag of Donuts and drank water for a grand total of $6.32.


We already live pretty sparingly, it is hard to know what else to cut. My monthly clothing allowance, along with Daniel's miscellaneous allowance is gone. I will now be brown bagging it every day for lunch as opposed to 3-4 days a week. We are considering getting slower internet, but that is pretty minuscule amount and internet is pretty important, especially since Daniel will be using it to job hunt. Daniel is also looking into getting cheaper car insurance. We have had basic cable for some time, I suppose we could always cancel it to save a few more bucks.


After our $6 meal, we went to Joseph-Beth's to read magazines and browse books. I happened to pick up the magazine,
Real Living and they had an article called 71 ways to cut back. For us it was a bit of a joke to read. We either 1) flat out don't do the things it suggests cutting out (example cut out weekly fresh flowers for $20/week - who does that?) or 2) we have been doing the suggestions for years.

Tonight was a nice night (even on a
super tight budget). We also had the extra treat of being able to visit with my grandparents on their layover in Charlotte, on their way home to Canada.

Another bonus to sharing meals is the potential for weight loss... this might not be so bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...