Sunday, May 03, 2009

Cycling

Some time in the past year, I got it in my head that it would be cool to ride a century (100 miles in cyclist speak). Quite possibly this idea got into my head, when my friend, Taryn decided she was going to ride in the Hotter'N Hell Hundred in Wichita Falls, TX.

Daniel and I have recently been discussing the need to 1) get back into shape and 2) reclaim some of the fun things we used to do with our time (hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, cycling, etc). Now that Daniel has time to work on the house during the week, we are feeling the urge to get out and do the things we love again.


So this morning we decided to start "training" to ride 100 miles. Our initial goal is to be able to ride the full length of the Virginia Creeper Trail (67.2 miles round trip, starting in Abingdon, VA). We have actually done this ride starting in Damascus, VA for a total of 35.2 miles. Doing the ride from Abingdon will give us a metric century (approximately 100 km).


After that, we are considering doing all 72 miles (round trip) of the Cherohala skyway. A couple of summers ago, we actually biked 18 miles of this beautiful road (my introduction into road biking). This would be more difficult than the Virginia Creeper due to the mountainous terrain.


Building on that, we would like to find a route where we can ride a full 100 miles. Hopefully this is something we can work on doing some time this year.


We plan to start a pretty aggressive riding schedule to help us work on our mileage. We started today, riding a measly 8+ miles on the greenway. We have A LOT of mileage adding to do to get to 100, but I am excited about having such a lofty goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...