Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I Hate Running

That's what I thought anyways... I think the problem is that I have always tried to start a running program in the summer. I live in the south, so I'm not sure what made me EVER think that was a good idea.

Running inspiration has recently come in the following forms:
  1. The blog, Eat.Blog.Run.
  2. My friend Sarah, over at It's News to Me, who just started {and is blogging about} the Couch to 5K program she recently started. 
  3. Another friend, Michelle of The Organ Family, who has been running and blogging over the past year about the boot camp program and the races she has been participating in. 
  4. And then there is my brother, Mark, who ran his first Disney Marathon last year. He went back this year with friends (he was not planning to run) and he ended up *sneaking in* and running it again (without training). I don't recommend this (the sneaking in AND the not training part), but he LOVES marathons and has been trying to persuade everyone he knows to run one with him.
So... back to why I hate running. I have put off running for a long time. I thought I hated it. But I have an upcoming wedding to be a bridesmaid in and I want to make sure that dress fits. Also, we are tight on money since my husband was laid off last March. Gym memberships were among the first things to be cut from our budget and I need a cheap way to get in shape.

I started my first run, bright and early, Monday morning. I wasn't looking forward to running in the cold. But I found it to be refreshing. Much better than running in the sweltering summer sun that I hated so much.

Today is my third day and I am still going strong. I am up to 11 minutes. And my running partner, my dog Sophie, knows we run now and she won't let me skip a morning. So I guess I don't hate running after all. Let's hope I can keep it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...