Friday, February 05, 2010

52 Books in 52 Weeks: Book 6

My husband and I have the following joke: If we are really busy and have a lot of projects to work on {on our house}, one of us asks, "Whatcha gonna do today?" And the other will reply, "Eat bon bons.

This is part of the reason I picked out the book Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik. This book was purely a guilty pleasure {especially after reading five non-fiction books in a row}. I definitely enjoyed the glimpse into this fictional book club that spans several decades. The book covers a lot of life circumstances and shows the depth of true friendship. These women are by no means perfect. Most of their solutions to life are to laugh {or throw a snow ball}. At times, I find myself longing for such a close-knit group of friends... I don't think that I have truly had that since my college days.

I digress. Here are some of my favorite passages from this book.
There are outlaws in all of us - ready to break rules that need to be broken.


I felt a deep, Thanksgiving-worthy sense of gratitude for my big, solid husband whose relatives might be crazy but who knew when his wife needed a steadying hand on her knee.


If she had learned one thing, it was not to borrow trouble. Trouble would find her if it wanted to. There was no sense in worrying about the whens and ifs.
Dealing with a spouse's death is like being in a boxing match and knowing you were going to get battered.
This quote pretty much sums up the book:
Wherever there's a book to read, I'll be there...
Wherever there's a friend to feed, I'll be there...
Wherever they're potluck lovers to feed, we'll be there...
Wherever there's a woman with a mean husband from whom she needs to be freed, we'll be there...
Wherever there's a baby who needs to have its diaper changed because it peed, we'll be there...
Wherever anyone has questions about their creed, we'll be there...
Wherever anyone needs to spill their guts without judgment or feels like quoting Margaret Mead, Angry Housewives will be there...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...