Friday, February 26, 2010

52 Books in 52 Weeks: Book 9

The book jacket of A Meaningful Life by L.J. Davis declares this novel to be a black comedy, I would call it a tragedy {is that the same thing?}.

It has comic elements, but it is tragic that the main character, Lowell Lake, is incredibly lost. In the first half of the book, Lowell realizes that he leads a meaningless life. In the second half, he attempts to live more meaningfully by buying and attempting to restore an old Brownstone in Brooklyn.

His relationship with his wife quickly deteriorates, he has a bizarre {surprising encounter that ends badly} and nothing meaningful actually happens in the ENTIRE book.

This is such a depressing story, I didn't find any quotes worth including... there are some comic descriptions, but mostly this is a sad story of a sad life.
  
One More Book 
This one is not actually going to count toward my 52 Books for the year since I actually read it about 7 years ago. However, after having a discussion with a friend, I did want to include An Unquiet Mind by Kay Redfield Jamison in this week's post. This book gives an amazing glimpse into the mind of a woman living with Bipolar Disorder. If you are interested in BD or know someone who lives with it, I would highly recommend that you read this autobiography.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...