Monday, March 01, 2010

Baked "Grilled" Cheese

  
I love to cook and try out new recipes. I could cook a new thing every day and be perfectly content. On the other hand, my husband would be happy if I made spaghetti 3 times a week. But since I am the cook, he is a trooper and eats anything I make.

For his sake, I do have some go to recipes that I try to rotate in periodically.

One of our favorite Saturday lunches is baked "grilled" cheese sandwiches. This is a grown-up version of your normal grilled cheese and you can make as many variations as you care to dream up. This makes me happy.

INGREDIENTS 
Butter {I use Smart Balance}
Sliced Bread {I generally use whole wheat}
Sliced Cheese {I use Kraft 2% Milk American Singles}
Deli Meat of Your Choice
Tomato, sliced
Grated Parmesan Cheese

DIRECTIONS 
Preheat oven to 350F.
Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread. {I microwave my butter for 10 seconds to make it easy to spread.}
Sprinkle Parmesan Cheese on the buttered side of the bread.
Place slice of bread Parmesan/Butter side down on cookie sheet.
Layer one piece of cheese, deli meat and tomato, followed by second piece of cheese and top slice of bread. Make sure top slice is butter side out and sprinkle with Parmesan. {Be creative with this. My husband doesn't like tomatoes, so I leave them off of his sandwich. I normally use ham or turkey. Another variation is pepperoni slices with pizza sauce OR roast beef with swiss cheese. Have fun with it.}
Make as many sandwiches as you need.
Bake in oven for 7 minutes. Flip sandwiches and bake for another 7 minutes.

Bon Apetit.


 

I’m linking up at GoodRecipesOnline.com


Over-used Recipes Swap

6 comments:

  1. so simple, I may have to copy your saturday lunch tradition! my girls are just so sick of cold sandwiches by saturday after having them in their lunches all week, but I know they would go for these toasty ones!
    (I'm visiting from the recipe swap @simply modern mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if they are any healthier than "grilled" grilled cheese sandwiches. We like having a hot sandwich on Saturdays and it is easy to mix up the ingredients! Hope you and your girls enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm stopping over from the Over-Used Recipe Swap at Simply Modern Mom's.

    This is interesting, a different take on grilled cheese is always welcome, I love any sort of hot sandwich.
    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am going to try this. I make grilled cheese by the truckfull. It never fails that the first person is done and ready for seconds before I have even come close to making my sandwich. This way, they are all done together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can definitely make a lot of sandwiches at once. Which is fabulous for the cook :) Let me know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! This look so good!! I would love it, if you would share this, & any other recipes you may have, on my recipe link up. http://goodrecipesonline.com/organized-linkup-for-all-your-recipes-goodrecipesonline-com/.

    ReplyDelete

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...