Friday, April 23, 2010

He's being your family...

The other night I was catching up with my sister, giving her the details about a recent house showing. Basically, we had a girl come by and view the house for 2 HOURS. Pretty awesome for us, but not so fun for Benjy, our friend who has graciously offered to come walk Sophie whenever I can't make it home because of work. He drives 45 minutes EACH WAY to come help me. And he won't let us make it up to him {we are planning something though}.

Anyways, as I told my sister this story, she said,  
"Awww... he's being your family right now." 

She is so right. I hadn't even thought about that. He is jumping in and helping me, knowing he won't get anything in return. He is there, a phone call away, just like my sister or brother or parents would be. Since they aren't here, he is filling that void for us right now.

We need more friends like this in our lives. The ones that offer to help you, even at an inconvenience to themselves. We need to be more like that ourselves. Benjy has stepped into that role for me while I am in Charlotte and Courtney and Chris are fulfilling that role for Daniel while he is in Chattanooga. They are his family when I {or our extended family} can't be.

2 comments:

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...