Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Living for Today

The problem with living for today is that I am waiting for tomorrow. This puts me in a difficult place. On the one hand, I am beyond ready to move forward with my life in Chattanooga. On the other hand, I am still {6+hours away} in Charlotte and there is no official end in sight.

Last year, I really wanted to start growing my own vegetables. But I put it off. I was worried that Daniel would get a job offer and we would have to sell our house and move. Because I put it off, I didn't grow that garden. Now it is a year later and Daniel does have a job but I still don't have a garden because I am waiting for our house to sell.

Last year I also had the opportunity to participate in a triathlon with a friend. Even though I really wanted to participate in the race, I opted out because 1) I felt guilty spending money while Daniel was unemployed and 2) I thought there was a chance that Daniel would get a job offer and we would have to move. The money part makes sense, but Daniel didn't get his job offer until the end of December and didn't start work until March 1. And I still haven't participated in a triathlon.

So... how long should you put off your life? There will always be what ifs to be concerned about and I don't want to live in the world of woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Another problem with waiting for job offers {or houses to sell or the right one to marry or babies...} is that these periods of waiting offer no definitive time frame. You are hoping things will work out, but you have no clue how long it will take. Chances are that it WILL take longer than you hope and, in the meantime, you need to keep living your life.

So while I continue to wait for this phase of my life to transition into the next, maybe I should take up gardening in pots {since I don't want to dig up the yard} or maybe I need to find a triathlon and go ahead and commit to doing something for myself.

What about you? What are you putting off for tomorrow?

"Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today."
 Thomas Jefferson

4 comments:

  1. Sorry. Waiting is so agonizing, especially when you can't put a definite time frame on what is happening when. Be strong, and it will eventually work out. I hope that one day you'll be able to look back at your posts during this time and see that God has been working, even though it is hard to see right now what he's up to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your encouragement Mark. It is always easy to look back and laugh at what you have been through and clearly see the lessons God taught you. However going thru it, it is definitely a challenge. Periods of waiting are a part of life, but that doesn't make me like them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well God had a plan for our time in transition-- to who knows what-- with the baby on the way...that was something we always used to put off, but I figured with everything else in our lives being so uncertain, there was never going to be a right time.....so that is where we stand....still trying to figure everything out but our family planning won't be put on hold anymore.
    Don't put too much on hold because you will see many opportunities pass by. Gardening in pots (maybe herbs sounds like a great start). Continue to be prayerful for the right things to come together. That's what we are doing.
    H. Holland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you HH. I know that things will work out for you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...