Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Project 52 Date Nights - Calm in the Midst of Crazy

This past weekend was insane. We crammed in a 12+hour roadtrip {each way} to Searcy, AR to attend a wedding of a childhood friend AND then back through Nashville for my brother's graduation from grad school. I am a bad sister - we didn't actually make it to graduation, but we were {briefly} there to celebrate at my aunt's afterward.

To get an idea of how crazy this weekend was, here is the breakdown:

Thursday:
  • Worked half a day. Finalized packing/cleaning the house in case there is a weekend showing {which there wasn't}. Loaded Sophie in the car and drove 6 hours to Chattanooga, TN.
  • Moved all of my stuff {and Sophie} into our Subaru and drove {with Daniel} to Murfreesboro, TN to have dinner with my father-in-law.
  • After dinner, we drove to my brother's apartment in Nashville. We didn't even take our stuff in, we just crashed in his bedroom {he was gracious and slept on the couch}.
Friday:
  • Up early to drive to Memphis {with my brother now in tow} to see my sister, her husband and my sweet niece {whom we haven't seen since Thanksgiving}. We spent all of one hour there {and they fed us lunch} before hitting the road.
  • Drove to Searcy where we briefly visited with my parents.
  • Then to a rehearsal at the church.
  • Followed by the rehearsal dinner.
  • Followed by a bachelorette party.
  • I was home around 1AM.
Saturday:
  • Up and showered and ready for breakfast at 9AM {my Grandma, Aunt and Uncle come by for a quick visit}.
  • Left at 10:30AM to attend a Bridesmaid luncheon {eating all of this food did not help me when I had to wear a super tight dress later that day}.
  • Went to the church around 1:30PM to get ready.
  • Pictures were at 3PM (I put off putting on my dress until the last moment}.
  • Spent the next 7 hours unable to move or breathe :(
  • Wedding was at 5PM - it was beautiful. Everything I expected.
  • Reception followed - was blessed to visit with MANY people from my teenage years.
  • We finally sent the bride and groom off around 10PM.
  • We proceeded to go to my parent's house and CRASH {actually I made Daniel give me his suit jacket and then undo my dress as soon as we got in the car so that I could breathe again}.
Are you still with me?

Sunday
  • Drove to my aunt's house in Nashville. Where we visited for a couple of hours {celebrating my brother's graduation} before hitting the road AGAIN.
  • Then on to Chattanooga, where we unloaded Daniel's stuff and moved my stuff back to my car.
  • We stayed up until 10PM visiting with our friends Chris & Courtney {who Daniel is currently living with}.
Monday
  • Up at 5:45AM???
  • Left at 6:30 - Daniel left for work and I drove home to Charlotte. I made it home in 6 hours. Dropped Sophie at the house and then went to work.
Whew.

So. Our Date. To be truthful, I barely saw Daniel. Between the wedding and all of the visiting. But we did manage to grab a moment of calm {by ourselves} on Friday night. After the rehearsal dinner and before the bachelorette party, we made a pit stop at Midnight Oil. This is my favorite coffee house on the planet - mostly because it brings back such fond memories from college. Daniel and I even went there at the end of our very first date {where we proceeded to talk until closing time}. Unfortunately this date, only allowed us about 20 minutes to sit on the porch, sharing a Mr. Blond. And just talking. When you live in separate places, talking becomes the thing you long for the most. It was my moment of calm in the midst of a very crazy {exhausting, but fun} weekend.

4 comments:

  1. wow! what a busy weekend. i don't even know how you humanly did that? and so nice to even squeeze in a few moments for date night! you're incredible! thanks for sharing!
    tiffany {Simply Modern Mom}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure how we did it either! We do these crazy trips at least once a year and we always say WE WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN and then we find ourselves doing it again. I guess that is what happens when you live far away from family and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is a very old post, but I'm starting a project for my husband in 2012... a date a week, so have been googling ideas. Came across your blog, read this post, and my jaw dropped. I lived in Searcy for 10 years. And live just 30 miles from there now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up there - where do you live now?

    ReplyDelete

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...