Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Project 52 Date Nights - Senior Executive Assistant Grease Monkey

Sometimes dates end up in the garage with me acting as assistant to my grease monkey husband (or as Daniel says, I am the Senior Executive Assistant Grease Monkey). Over the years he has trained me in the ways of tools – I probably know more than the average American male.

Anyways, we drive old cars (i.e. we have never owned a car that was less than 10 years old). We have chosen to do this because 1) we are extremely frugal and 2) Daniel is an engineer with the uncanny ability to fix almost anything (especially cars) – a pretty good combination if you ask me.

There comes a time, at least once a year, that he ends up in the garage fixing one of our vehicles: replacing a CV joint here; doing a brake job there. And there are always oil changes to be done. During such times, if I want to be able to spend any time with him, I have to go out to the garage, take a seat on the mechanic's stool and be willing to hand him tools.

This weekend was one of those weekends.

Sunday I found myself in the garage for three reasons: 1) we had not been able to spend much time together over the weekend; 2) he needed some help and 3) I had received some depressing news from a friend - a couple that we had met through church {three years ago} is getting a divorce. I had just received the news and wanted to let Daniel know what was going on.

It's a really sad situation – he said he didn't love her anymore and then she caught him cheating. They are really just babies in the world of marriage {they had just gotten married when we met them three years ago}. I am so heartbroken for her and for the fact that their marriage has come to this.

Daniel and I had a deep conversation {even though he was under the Subaru and I was periodically handing him tools}.

Him: What do you think made their marriage end like that?
Me: I have no idea.
Him: Can you hand me a 14 mm socket wrench with a 3-inch extension?
Me: {handing him the tool} It is so sad...

We discussed ways that we can continue to improve our own marriage so that it doesn't end in such heartache. Our marriage isn't perfect, but we continue to work on it. Relationships are a work in progress. I believe that if we stop cultivating them, they will die.

Note: I did not write this post to point fingers or try to figure anyone out. We don't know the full story. We probably never will. I truly hope God brings healing to our friends and to anyone else who has experienced this type of hurt in their lives...

1 comment:

  1. oh wow. how sad! sorry to hear about your friends. we've had friends who had gone through similar stories. and it makes us want to work on our marriage even more too. and that's awesome that you help your husband out in the garage. thanks for sharing!
    tiffany {Simply Modern Mom}

    ReplyDelete

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...