Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Project 52 Date Nights: House Sitting

Friday I worked half a day then high tailed it to Signal Mountain, TN {Chattanooga area} to hang out with Daniel for the weekend. We were house/pet sitting for the Reynold's {who were at the beach for the week}. I made it there by 7PM. It only took 7 hours of driving and 5 stops... driving with a dog makes life more complicated.

On our drive, we stopped 1) on the way out of town to get me lunch; 2) about an hour down the road to get gas and throw out my trash from lunch so Sophie wouldn't eat the cardboard that held my fries; 3) at a rest area outside of Asheville because Sophie was whining and I figured she needed to walk around/do her business {which she did} and I got myself some caffeine; 4) I stopped at another rest area to let Sophie take a break; and finally 5) I forgot to feed Sophie during the last break, so we stopped AGAIN for feeding. At this stop she managed to get into an ant mound and ants were crawling all over her front legs before I realized what had happened. I grabbed a towel and knocked the ants off and made sure she was OK before heading on.

When I finally arrived at Signal Mountain, I found that Daniel had cooked dinner: grilled steak and baked potatoes. It was really sweet that he did that. After dinner we were both tired. We talked some about future plans for getting me moved to TN and then we crashed.

Saturday we did a bit of house hunting {which is hard because we really don't know where we should be living, there is a lot that is up in the air right now}. We also toured the area looking at campgrounds {more details later}. Saturday night, the Reynold's came home and we hung out with them - including getting takeout from a really amazing pizzaria. 

The Reynold's kids are so sweet. Sadie {age 3} asked me if I was going to be moving there. I told her that I would eventually. Then she said, "No. Are you going to be moving here, into this house, like Daniel?" Hahaha. I told her that I would move there but that Daniel and I would get our own house and she could come visit me for a change.

Sunday we went for a 1.5-mile hike where we let Sophie run {off leash} through the woods - this was a plan on our part to make sure she was good and tired for my drive home. For brunch, we went to the Sweet Gipsy Bakeshop. Daniel was going to take me here on Friday night, but it turned out that the extended summer hours for this coffee shop were only until 5PM! 

I managed to get on the road by 3:45PM and made it home by 9:45PM {I went home through Atlanta and we only stopped twice}. Date weekend complete. I am looking forward to a day when we have normal date "nights" and not crazy weekends that are so tiring and involve 6+hours driving {each way} for one of us. It is truly exhausting!

2 comments:

  1. hey, how's the house selling coming along btw? and traveling with a dog is like traveling with kids! ha! thanks for sharing!
    tiffany {Simply Modern Mom}

    ReplyDelete
  2. having a dog is definitely preparing us for kids some day :)

    Since April 25, our showings dropped from 5 per week to virtually ZERO. This has been tough. We actually had a showing last night that looks promising. If it doesn't work out, that is OK. We have faith that God with bring us through this and that being apart will not last forever. waiting sure is tough though.

    ReplyDelete

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...