Monday, July 12, 2010

The List

The internet is supposed to be the gateway to every possible subject matter you could conjure up, right? Well try googling something like "what to pack when moving into a camper full time."

As a newbie to RV living, I am looking for a specific list of items that seasoned RV dwellers would consider important to everyday living in a 27-foot long camper {with one slide out}. I am sure that such a list exists somewhere in the realm of all things internet related, but I have yet to find it. There is info on how to pack your camper and suggestions for not overloading your rig. But no concrete list that gives a rundown of what is necessary and what is going to take up space and make wish you never insisted on bringing such an item in the first place.

Given the lack of internet information, we are working on our own list. Everything that we own will be packed up and moved into storage {in Tupelo, Mississippi} by the end of next week. In effect, we have one-and-a-half weeks to determine what to keep out of storage for the next 3-5 months of our lives. This is no small task. We will be relying on our experience of multi-day backpacking trips and the knowledge that one RARELY needs everything that one THINKS one needs.

I am in the habit of being under prepared for trips – just ask Daniel about the time we went backpacking in Mt. Rogers, Virginia and we nearly froze to death and had to hike out a day early because I had the weather report wrong and had informed Daniel that we didn't need warm clothes because it was April. While Daniel tends to ere on the side of over preparedness – he once insisted that we carry 2 gallons of water on an overnight backpacking trip on the Manana Trail in Oahu, Hawaii.

Hopefully between us, we will come up with a list of items that we can live with in this small space {that we will be sharing with our dog}. Give me a month and I will let you know if we made a good list...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...