Monday, October 25, 2010

Our Unexpected Tornado Warning


Looking out towards Lookout Mountain the morning after the storm.

Our second-to-last night of camping was not the serene night we had anticipated. The weather had warmed up quite a bit over the last couple of days {I think we were both regretting the electric blanket} and it was raining lightly. Pretty soon the rain picked up and we found ourselves wishing we had ear plugs to drown out the noise of rain pounding on the outside of our fiberglass camper. 

View of Raccoon Mountain - we are the first white camper on the right.

Before we went to sleep, we opened the vents above our bed and in the bathroom for air circulation. Around 5am, I woke up and realized that we were getting a bit damp from the open vent, so I got up to close it. Around that time, the storm really picked up and Daniel decided to check weather.com to see what the radar looked like. Lucky for us the internet was working. Unfortunately, there was a tornado warning that suggested everyone in Hamilton County take cover.

Raccoon Mountain Campground

Since we were in a camper in a campground {not the safest place to be during a tornado}, we discussed our options. The radar showed most of the storm was already east of our campground so Daniel thought we should get dressed and throw any important valuables {wallet, cell phone and keys} in a backpack so we would be ready if we decided we needed to take cover in a ditch outside. This was a less than desirable option as it was still raining substantially. Daniel proceeded to get ready for work and told me to take cover if I thought it was necessary. Thankfully that wasn't necessary.

First load of stuff ready to go to our new house.

Nothing like a tornado warning to end our wonderful 3 months of living in a camper :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...