Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tomato Orzo Soup


I mentioned in an earlier post that my sister-in-law had introduced us to orzo when she made Tomato & Orzo Soup on a recent visit to our house. It was super yummy and Daniel even liked it {which is a big deal since he is not a fan of tomato soup}. I have this made several times since Amy left and have finally settled on a variation that we really love.

Thanks Amy for introducing us to orzo!

Ingredients:
  • 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 carrots, cut into quarter-inch rounds
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 32 oz chicken stock
  • 2 {14.5 oz} cans of diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3/4 cups orzo
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • cayenne pepper if you like it hot {Amy likes it hot, we are good with a dash}
Directions:
  • Heat stock pot on medium-high heat.
  • Coat bottom of pan with oil.
  • Add carrots and sauté for a couple of minutes.
  • Add onion and celery and continue to sauté.
  • Finally add garlic.
  • Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
  • Add orzo and cook for 9 minutes. I found that the orzo sticks to the bottom of the pan, so stir it frequently.
  • Purée one of the cans of tomatoes, then add both cans to the pot.
  • Add milk and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
  • Salt and pepper to taste.

This soup is perfect for a cold day. Serve with a warm baguette and a side of salad {or just enjoy a piping hot bowl}.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...