Monday, February 07, 2011

52 Books: Book 8, Part I



I am participating in the Book Beginnings and Bookends online book club and we are reading Ape House by Sara Gruen and answering three sets of questions over the next three weeks. So far I think the books has an interesting plot, but I am not enjoying it as much as Water for Elephants {which I LOVED}. I will have to wait until the end to give my final opinion.

Question/Answers for Chapters 1-12 {I have not read ahead} 
What was your initial reaction to the idea of a language lab with bonobos who are capable of having conversations with humans?
I didn’t have a problem with this. I thought it was common knowledge that there are apes that have are have been taught to communicate with humans through sign language.
Isabel said early in the book that the apes know they're apes and know that the humans are humans, but they don't see any superiority with either... What do you think the major difference is between the two?  
The apes do not see the humans as superior, yet it is the humans that take care of them. Without the humans the apes would not have the life they have {i.e. Starbucks runs}. In the wild, the apes would still be able to function and communicate with each other, but it would be very different for them.
What are your thoughts on John and his feelings toward Isabel? How do you think their relationship will play out?
John obviously has a physical attraction to Isabel. I think they are going to form a relationship at the expense of the other relationships they currently have. Whatever bond they form will be centered on finding the apes… for John it will mean getting a great story; for Isabel, it will mean getting her beloved apes back.
How do you think Isabel will respond to the apes being taken?  
Isabel will search for the apes. She will do whatever she can to get them back.
Do you think Celia is part of the team that ambushed the learning center?
My initial feeling is that it is possible that she is a part, but ultimately I think she is just a scapegoat and that she is not involved.
What are your thoughts on John and his relationship with Amanda?
I truly feel sorry for Amanda. I am in a situation where I had to leave my job and move to a new place for my husband’s job. It is a tough transition. John seems to be in a place where he is torn between his love and commitment to his wife and the desire for something new. It makes me sad for Amanda because of what I see coming. She hasn’t been able to pull herself together and I see John drifting away from her.  




1 comment:

  1. I agree with your answer about Celia being involved. I really don't think she is.

    ReplyDelete

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...