Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Cleaning My Oven...

Do you ever have that problem where you clean your oven with a toxic chemical cleaner and afterward it smells awful AND it seems to take forever for the smell to dissipate? Is that just me?

Our internet was down for 21 hours, so I went into cleaning mode {including cleaning the oven which had chocolate melted/burned onto the bottom from a fiasco with baking Christmas cookies back in December}.

After cleaning the oven, I turned it on to see how bad the smell would be {I was also concerned about cooking dinner tonight}. It smelled pretty bad... as in I opened all of the windows and fans in the house and googled how to get rid of the smell.

Thankfully I came across this advice:
  • Open windows and doors to help air out your kitchen.
  • Fill a shallow roasting pan with a mixture of one part vinegar to six parts water. 
  • Place the roasting pan in your oven and turn the oven on high. The vinegar will help neutralize the odor of the oven cleaner and will help lift off any remaining food residue. 
  • Leave the oven on for 30 minutes, and allow it to cool down. 
  • Remove the pan from the oven and wipe down the inside of the oven with a damp rag. This will remove any excess oven cleaner and baked-on food.

This worked like a charm. My nostrils are no longer burning and I am not afraid about using my oven tonight. I would love to hear if you have any tips for cleaning your oven and/or getting rid of the smell afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...