Wednesday, April 13, 2011

52 Books: Book 19


I just wrapped up the third volume of the sci-fi trilogy by C.S. Lewis: That Hideous Strength. In this final chapter we learn that the dark forces of the universe are plotting to take over earth completely. They are using the scientific group N.I.C.E. {the National Institute of Coordinated Experiments} to recondition humans to their liking. Ransom, our hero from the first two books, is countering this attack by creating his own organization {Logres} to fight N.I.C.E. and the unseen dark forces.

During the course of the book it is revealed that the wizard Merlin {from the time of King Arthur} is to come back to life. Both N.I.C.E. and Logres are hoping to use Merlin to win this epic battle.

The title "That Hideous Strength" is taken from a poem written by David Lyndsay in 1555, Ane Dialog betuix Experience and ane Courteour, also known as The Monarche. The couplet in question, The shadow of that hyddeous strength, refers to the Tower of Babel. This is an important element when it comes to the final battle in the book.
 
That Hideous Strength can be read alone or as the final chapter in the trilogy.

I have to confess that the first few chapters of this book are very dry and boring. I pressed on because my dad had recommended it as an excellent social commentary, applicable to today as much as when it was written.

It was a good end to the trilogy though I wish it had either ended at the battle or had an ending that was wrapped up better – there were several loose ends that I would have like to see tied up. I found the part about Merlin a little out of place and I wish there had been more interaction of the eldil as there had been in the earlier books.

Excerpts from the book:
That is why it is of such immense importance for each of us to choose the right side. If you are to be neutral you become simply a pawn.

... his education had had the curious effect of making things that he read and wrote more real to him than things he saw.

"Why fool, it's the educated reader who can be gulled. All our difficulty comes with the others. When did you meet a workman who believes the papers? He takes it for granted that they're all propaganda and skips the leading articles... He is our problem. We have to recondition him. But the educated public, the people who read the high-brow weeklies, don't need reconditioning. They're all right already. They'll believe anything."

"You surely don't need to wait for a thing to happen before you tell the story of it."

They were all his enemies, playing upon his hopes and fears to reduce him to complete servility, certain to kill him if he broke away, and certain to kill him in the long run when he had served the purpose for which they wanted him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...