Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Great North Woods


Daniel and I have been discussing taking a trip for a while, our babymoon I guess. I really wanted to travel internationally, but Daniel would prefer to stay closer to home. His idea of a vacation would be to stay at home and work {play} in the garage. But he married me and my idea of vacation is to go far, far away to somewhere I have never been before.

So after much research, we decided to stay in the US and drive to our destination. We started with a long list of options, mostly in Colorado {we wanted to be near mountains}, but we also considered New England {both areas of the country are around 1,300 miles from where we live}. Other considerations were that we wanted to take Sophie with us. 

Commence research central. We looked into the possibility of using some of Daniel's family's Disney Vacation points. Disney is very family friendly but not dog friendly AT ALL. They have reciprocity with resorts throughout the US but none in Colorado allowed dogs and only a couple of resorts in New England did. After talking to family and realizing it was going to eat a lot of points, we looked into other alternatives.

VRBO has been our friend for many years. There are always dog-friendly options and renting a house is much more appealing than being stuck in a condo or hotel room with people on the other side of the wall. We were getting low on time so we found our best options in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont and contacted a variety of places. We looked at places that were ocean front and lake front and in the mountains. We finally settled on a quaint house in Quechee, Vermont, close to the White Mountains

Now we just have to finalize plans of what we will do when we get there as well as pack and prepare for the trip north. We are really excited about this trip. My main concern was not waiting until I was really pregnant – I want to be able to enjoy our trip. One of the reasons we ultimately ruled out Colorado was concern about altitude. It would suck to get all the way out there and then have an adverse reaction to altitude {we live at 600 feet and I have no idea how 7,000 feet plus would affect me}.

I am also hoping that while hiking, we can bag several high points in New England.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...