Sunday, July 31, 2011

Practice Run

First off I just want to state that we are all fine, but we did have a bit of a scare this morning...

On our way to church we had the unfortunate experience of being rear ended while sitting still at a red light. Not exactly how we planned our Sunday morning to go. Thankfully our trailer hitch seemed to absorb most of the impact, but it was still enough force for our seat belts to tighten and my head to be thrown forward.

The woman who hit us immediately got out and apologized – she was swapping out a DVD for her daughter in the back seat at the time of impact. Her main concern seemed to be whether or not she would get a ticket. We were concerned about the shape of our vehicle and what this accident might mean for me since I am 25+weeks pregnant.

Daniel called the police so that we could file a report and I called my OB to see if we should be concerned. Thankfully the lap part of my seat belt did not tighten and the chest part compressed mostly to the left and above my belly. I was feeling fine with just a bit of tenderness where the seat belt had tightened, so my doctor and I agreed that I didn't need to go to the hospital. HOWEVER if I started to experience contractions or bleeding, I needed to call her immediately. Our other concern was that if I did have any problems, I was about an hour from the hospital – not really enough time for any type of worse-case scenario.

Anyways after the police left and Daniel and I had a chance to regroup, we discussed it further and decided that as a precautionary measure, we would feel better if we at least went to Chattanooga to spend the day. We wouldn't go to the hospital unless we really felt something was wrong, but if I did experience contractions or bleeding, we would at least be in the right city and not an hour away. My OB said that any problems would present within 24 hours with the most concern being in the first 1-4 hours after the accident.

So we drove to Chattanooga, hoping and praying that the worst-case scenario of a C-section at 25 weeks would not be on our day's agenda.

We arrived in Chattanooga around lunch, so we went to The Terminal {one of our faves}. Following that we went to see a matinee at the dollar theater. Finally we ran a couple of errands and decided that after 4 hours in Chattanooga with no signs of distress for me or our baby that it was probably okay to go home.

This little incident made me realize how little control we have over our lives and also how we are not prepared to be thrust into parenthood at this exact moment. If it were to happen that way, we would do what needs to be done, but I pray that God will give us a little more time to prepare for the entrance of this little one {preferably until November!}.

On a side note, this is the THIRD time Daniel has been rear ended in this Altima.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...