Tuesday, November 29, 2011

52 Books: Book 46 & 47

I know that I just had a baby, but I am still trying to keep up with my reading. I actually finished these two books awhile back and never got around to writing a post... maybe something to do with being very pregnant, then in the hospital, then home with a newborn.


Book 46 was The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. It is a fictional account of a missionary family that goes to the Belgian Congo in 1959. I especially found it intriguing since my parents were missionaries until I was six years old. 

Kingsolver does not appear to have a good opinion of missionaries or marriage if her novel is a reflection of her personal views. The missionaries spend their time trying to change Africa in an overbearing, Americanized manner and instead find themselves forever changed. While I believe it is impossible to live in another country without being changed in someway, the experiences of the Price family amount to a tragedy.


Book 47 was Room by Emma Donoghue. It is the fictional account of a girl who is kidnapped when she is 19. She is held in captivity in a room for seven years. During this period, she bears the child of her captor. She is finally able to escape, with her son, when he is five years old. The story tells of the entry back into the real world. It is a psychological thriller that was difficult to read just prior to and after having a son of my own. 

I am currently reading The Boy Who Harnessed The Wind by William Kamkwamba... it is a much cheerier subject matter than these previous two books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...