Monday, January 09, 2012

Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup


Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup 
Recipe adapted from from SkinnyTaste {the SkinnyTaste version is probably a little healthier}
Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup onion, chopped and sauteed in 2 tsp olive oil {I skipped this step}
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 cups low sodium fat-free chicken broth
  • 8 oz can tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup chipotle salsa
  • 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 15 oz V8 tomato juice {the recipe actually calls for 14.5 oz can of petite diced tomatoes, for some reason I was out of tomatoes, so I substituted V8 juice and it was great... in the future I might add tomatoes in addition to the V8}.
  • 8 oz can whole kernel corn
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 2 skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 tbsp ranch dressing {I used this as a thickener, I think sour cream, cream or milk would also work}
  • shredded cheddar cheese {optional as topping}
  • sour cream {optional as topping}
Directions:
  • Put everything {except ranch dressing, cheese and sour cream} into a crock pot.
  • Cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.
  • Remove chicken and shred with two forks. 
  • Add chicken back into the soup.
  • Stir in ranch dressing and allow to cook for an additional 15 minutes to thicken your soup.
  • Serve in bowls and top with sour cream, cheese and Baked Corn Tortilla Chips.

Baked Corn Tortilla Chips
Ingredients:
  • Small Corn Tortillas
  • Salt
Directions:
  • Heat oven to 400º F.
  • Cut tortillas into fourths and place on cookie sheets so that none are touching.
  • Salt to taste.
  • Bake for 10 minutes {turning chips over halfway through} or until golden brown and crispy on edges.
  • Let chips set for 5 minutes to harden once you remove from oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...