Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Whole Wheat Honey Banana Muffins/Bread

First off, I hate that I forgot to take a photo of these muffins. I made them for our class at church a couple of weeks ago and somewhere between baking and getting out the door on time, I just forgot. Plus it might have been weird to be taking a picture of my baked goods at the church building.


*If I had taken pics, it might have looked a little like this. This was Peanut Butter Banana Bread I made last year.

Anywho... I found the original recipe from New Nostalgia via Pinterest and as I started making it, I decided it might be a hair too healthy for a group of people I am still getting to know. Plus I know that Daniel likes it any time chocolate is involved in his breakfast and I figured other people might like the additions as well.

So here is my modified {slightly less healthy but-so-yummy} version of Whole Wheat Honey Banana Muffins/Bread

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour {I ran out of wheat – so the white flour made up the difference. If you want, use 3 1/2 cups of all white or 3 1/2 cups of all wheat or whatever combination works for you}

2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp ground flax {don't tell the boys I added this in – it's totally optional though}
2/3 cup olive oil {you could probably use whatever type of oil you prefer or whatever you have on hand}
2/3 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar {the original recipe called for 1 cup of honey for the sweetener... I got nervous that it wouldn't be sweet enough, so I adjusted the recipe and included brown sugar too}

4 eggs
2 cups mashed ripe bananas {I used 5}
1/2 cup hot water

1 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts 

Directions
Set oven to 325ºF.
Stir together dry ingredients and set aside.
Mix oil and honey together; add eggs and beat well – a stand mixer works great for this, but hand beaters would work too. Add bananas and beat to combine. 
Add dry ingredients to wet, alternating with hot water; mix well after each addition.
Mix in chocolate chips and walnuts – I actually mixed in the chocolate chips first and made a batch with no nuts. Once the no-nuts batch was in the oven, I added the walnuts and made a loaf of bread with nuts... This works great in case anyone is allergic to nuts or just doesn't like nuts {ahem – Daniel}. 
Spoon batter into 12 greased muffin cups and bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and test done.
For bread, pour mixture into a greased loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and the bread passes the toothpick test.
Remove from oven and cool on rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...