Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Jack is Ten Months


I know that I say this every month, but child, please slow down. I love every phase and it is getting more and more fun with each passing day, but I want to savor it too. I need to enjoy the sweet kisses and snuggles {I take advantage of these every moment that I can because I know a day will come when he will no longer want or need my kisses or hugs}.


Jack continues to crawl around the house, getting more interested in his toys and things that could be toys. He loves door stops and we have discovered that cords, phones and remote controls can be great motivators of getting our little one to crawl.


He also loves doors. He wants to close every door that he can find. If you set him down, he will make a beeline for the closest door.


Standing. Oh my. Our little one loves to stand. He has been pulling up on anything he can get his chubby little hands on. Us. The couch. A laptop bag. The bathtub. He just wants to stand. When he first stood up in his crib, he was a little confused about the whole sitting back down part.


His favorite "word" seems to change each week... At the beginning of the month it was "boom." I have no idea what he thinks it means, but he says it all of the time, "Boom, boom, boom." We think it is hysterical and we say it right back. Sometimes we sing, "Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom. Bang. Bang. Bang. Bang." And he giggles and says, "Boom" back to us. Week two, he was stuck on "Rahhr." And week three his word is, "Diddle." It is so funny to listen to him string these "words" together. He uses inflection and different words to make "phrases" which keep us laughing.


Jack knows his name and if we ask, "Where is Sophie?" He will start searching the room for her. He has been doing this for some time. Now he also searches for "Dada." Not so much me... maybe because I tend to be the one holding him and asking the questions?


Sometime in the last month Jack started the habit of turning sideways or all the way around in his high chair when we are eating out. I guess he would rather watch all of the people around us than stare at us. He also turns sideways in the grocery cart. If he can get turned sideways in a seat, chances are, he will.


Firsts include sitting up from a laying down position and pulling up to a stand. Jack has been pulling up while in our laps for some time, but this month he mastered pulling to a stand using furniture, his crib, a lap top case, a basket... really anything that he can prop himself up on. It is amazing how much he is learning. I also caught him trying to crawl into the dishwasher for the first time.


Jack also had his first visit to the Creative Discovery Museum in Chattanooga with his cousins.


Jack loves to shake his head "no" whenever we ask a question. If we nod and say, "yes" he just giggles and shakes "no." We get a kick out of asking him questions just to get the "no" response. The funniest example of this is when we were at Life Group on the first Thursday of football season {Daniel and I don't watch football, so we were enjoying the visiting}. I asked Jack if he liked football. Before he could shake "no" one of our friends informed us that we at least had to give him a chance to like football for himself :)


At the end of the month I experienced the first instance where I think he deliberately did something I told him not to. He crawled over to Sophie's water dish. I told him "no" in a strong tone. He looked up me, shook his head "no" and then proceeded to dump the water all over the floor. 


Oh my. I am not ready for this.


Up until recently Jack seemed to be very sensitive. He cried at loud noises and would also cry if we have to make a loud sound to get his attention. I think he may be outgrowing this phase as he has not been bothered in recent days.


Jack continues to be a delight to us. That time between supper and bedtime is better than TV. Watching Jack discover new things and play with us is a treat.


End of month stats
Height: 28.5"
Weight: 21lbs 2oz
Clothes: 12+months
Foods: We continue to introduce lots of different foods. He really likes grapes, strawberries and tomatoes right now.
Words: He continues to make lots of different sounds and "words" we still haven't determined if he really understands that Da Da is Daniel or that Ma Ma Ma is me.
Movement: Our guy is on the move. Crawling became coordinated and sped up this month. He is mostly focused on getting places so that he can pull up to a stand. He uses the couch and coffee table to "walk" around. Occasionally he will let go and stand for just a second before plopping down on his butt. We had a few tough days where he would sit or stand in his crib and he didn't really understand that he needed to lay back down in order to go to sleep. He seems to have figured this out.
Teeth: Jack still has 2 teeth, we keep thinking more are coming in, but so far, no dice.
 

*I will be writing monthly updates of Jack with pictures of Jack and the Tonka truck on the 11th of each month. One Month Old. Two Months Old. Three Months Old. Four Months Old. Five Months Old. Six Months Old. Seven Months Old. Eight Months Old. Nine Months Old.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...