Friday, September 07, 2012

Mahler's Eighth – Symphony of a Thousand



For me a happy life is one well lived. One that is full of rich experiences.


I can't tell you how excited I was for my brother when he told me he had joined a chorus that would be singing Mahler's Eighth with the Nashville Symphony. He had a friend who was singing and there was an open spot so Mark sent an email detailing his singing background and experience and BOOM he was a part of the chorus. Pretty cool.

 

He has been rehearsing with them for 3+ hours every Monday for awhile. Then they had a week of two night rehearsals followed by an intense week of every night practices.

 

Last night was dress rehearsal and thankfully Mark was able to secure tickets for me and Angela. The Friday performance sold out and Sunday would be hard for me to attend, so this worked out best for me. 

 

This was my first evening away from Jack for 4+hours. Daniel dropped me off at the Schermerhorn Symphony Center in downtown Nashville where I met up with my sister. It was open seating and we got great seats in the back center. It was nice to spend some time with my siblings and Jack was fine without me for an evening.


This particular symphony was pretty intense, so I was kind of glad not to be right up next to the orchestra pit. There were these moments of intense crescendo of music and voices growing until it was almost deafening. Pretty amazing.


Mark says he probably wouldn't do this again – too time consuming, but he is glad he took the opportunity to have this experience.


Only one glitch at rehearsal – the conductor started yelling and stopped everything at the very end. Evidently some of the chorus started singing too early. From the audience, you couldn't tell there had been a mistake. It was a great performance. I am sure the Friday and Sunday performances will be great. What a wonderful experience for my little brother!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...