Thursday, December 20, 2012

...

Ten days ago I learned that a classmate, Amelia, from my hometown was in a terrible car wreck. Last night I learned that she would not be waking up. She leaves behind a husband and two small children.

I don't even know what to say. Unexpected death is the thing that I find to be the most challenging to my faith. It is so senseless. I am incredibly sad for her family.

Like when my friend drowned earlier this year, or the Sandy Hook shootings last week, my mind screams, "Why?" They don't deserve this. Those left behind don't deserve to deal with this. And yet this is life. This is the world we live in. It is full of hurt and suffering and pain.

There are no words that I can offer of comfort to these families. I pray for them. For comfort. For shoulders to cry on. For arms to be wrapped around them and ears to listen. I pray that they have people who will walk with them as they traverse this difficult valley of pain and suffering.
"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand … For I, the LORD your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you.” – Isaiah 41:10, 13
--------------------------------------------------------------------

January 30, 2013 UPDATE 
Shortly after I wrote this original blog post, Amelia showed signs of brain activity. She was admitted to the Shepherd Center in Atlanta to help recover from the brain injury she sustained from her accident. Her family is hopeful that she will be in a Minimally Conscious State by her birthday and be able to move on to the next phase of treatment. 

April 4, 2013 UPDATE
Amelia was able to go home. Her mother is caring for her at this time. I am unclear as to how much she will recover, but she is now home and surrounded by family.

God continues to work in this situation and I continue to pray for her family as they walk through this difficult valley.

July 23, 2013 UPDATE
Amelia's Mom wrote:  
Our precious Amelia has her victory. She peacefully went to her new home this morning at 7:00. We didn't leave her bedside and we were watching every breath. Thank you for your love and prayers.
I am truly saddened by the loss of Amelia. I hope and pray that her family can find peace in this terrible ordeal. They will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers in the days and years to come. For some reason I keep having the image in my head of Amelia running through a field of daisies to meet loved ones who have gone before her. Rest in love, Amelia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...