Friday, July 05, 2013

Date Night: Bonfire


On Monday Daniel decided that it was time to burn our enormous brush pile. Mostly he wants it gone before we put our house on the market. I mean, who doesn't want old Christmas trees and brush from every big storm from the last 2+ years in a big pile in their back yard?


I entertained Jack on our back porch while Daniel started the fire and then we wandered out to get a closer look.


I think that Jack's favorite parts of this experience were 1) helping his daddy pull the water hose to the back of our property; 2) getting to ride the four wheeler with Daniel to run back to the house to collect more things to burn (i.e. old firewood we still have); and 3) getting sprayed by the water hose.


After we put Jack to bed, we took the baby monitor out to the bonfire and roasted marshmallows and made smores. I don't know if we can officially call them smores since we were out of Hershey's bars and I couldn't find the graham crackers. We settled for roasted marshmallows on top of Nilla Wafers. They weren't too bad.


We enjoyed the quiet of the evening, the amazing stars, the fireflies and the warmth of the fire on an unseasonably cool July night.


We are still in the process of figuring out our future. We are in the dreaming stage of "where are we going to live?" It's a good stage, but also fraught with worry and fear of the unknown. I mean, our house might take two years to sell and what will we do in the meantime? On the other spectrum, it could sell quickly to the right buyer and then what? There are so many unknowns.


We are trying to breathe in and out and take each big decision a day or week at a time. We needed some time in front of that bonfire to continue to process our future.


See Daniel cut donuts in the back yard.


See Jack play with the water hose.


See Jack get sprayed by said hose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...