Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Books I Read in September (#20)


On a bit of a whim, I downloaded a free copy of The Soulkeepers by my iBooks account. I don't read a lot of young adult fiction so I was a little leery at first, but I really enjoyed this sci-fi, paranormal story.  

The Soulkeepers is the first in a trilogy of books that follows 15-year-old Jacob Lau after her loses his family and has to move from Hawaii to rural midwest America to live with relatives he didn't know existed. During this time of transition he discovers that he possesses special powers. 

There were a few times I felt like the book didn't flow that well, but overall I was really surprised by how much I liked the book – especially as more characters were introduced. I was also intrigued by the explanations/accounts of the paranormal beings. I don't want to give it away, but I thought this was a good story and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good sci-fi/paranormal novel of the young adult variety. I gave the book 4/5 stars on Goodreads.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This has nothing to do with reading, or books, but last week we were in a toddler parenting class at the Clear Creek Church of Christ and we were discussing discipline. 

The teacher (from First Things First) brought up spanking and said that there was a time and place for this type of discipline (agreed). She said that you should consider the H.A.L.T. method. Are you Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired? Make sure you are in the right frame of mind before administering the punishment. 

A parent raised her hand and said, "When are parents of toddlers ever NOT one of those?" Touché.

If you have a chance to take a First Things First seminar, I would definitely recommend it. Being that we are older parents, I didn't learn a ton of new things, but I did get a few good reminders. If you are a young parent or didn't come from a good family environment, you should check out one of these seminars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...