Friday, June 27, 2014

Love Where You Live: East Brow Ride


I recently discovered Roots Rated and it is quite possibly my new favorite web site. Roots Rated gives great details about outdoor activities in select cities and Chattanooga happens to be one of the cities they cover.


Happily we have already discovered many of the activities and places on this site, but there are plenty of new places left for us to explore. 


One of the activities on Roots Rated that we had yet to discover was the Brow of Signal Mountain. It promised at least 7 miles (round trip) of amazing views.


We live about 2 miles from East Brow and decided it would be worth the ride from our house. 


The views definitely delivered. We have driven on this road before, but riding (or running) on it gives you more time to really soak it in.


We biked until we were almost at the W Road. Conveniently there was a grassy section on the right side with an amazing view of Chattanooga. 


The plot of land probably belonged to the people who owned the house across the street, but we took advantage of the opening in the bushes and parked our bikes out of sight and enjoyed a picnic with this fantastic view.


East Brow is rolling hills, so be ready for your legs to burn a bit on the uphills, but the fast downhills more than make up for it. 


The steepest section for us was actually coming out of our neighborhood, past Green Gorge Park and down to East Brow. What goes down must come up, so the final hill up to our neighborhood was a brutal one.


We biked about 5.5 miles on this ride. My fastest speed was around 17mph but I know Daniel (and Jack) were going much faster than me on the downhill sections. Our elevation gain was about 600 feet.


We enjoyed having Daniel home on a Friday, he has been working crazy hours the last couple of weeks and may have to go back tomorrow. 


Have I mentioned that we love where we live?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...