Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Happy Birthday, Daddy!


It is so fun that Jack is talking so much these days. I can whisper in his ear and he will do things like tell Daniel, "Happy Birthday Daddy!" We are working on learning the tune to the Happy Birthday song, but we aren't quite there yet.


In the past Daniel and I haven't really celebrated our birthdays in a traditional way (we never do cake or presents). This year Jack really wanted to have a cake, 3 balloons and 3 candles. He was very adamant about the number of balloons and candles. Too bad Daniel is 34 for this year instead of 33.


On Daniel's actual birthday, we celebrated by having lunch at the Olive Bean Cafe on Signal Mountain. Daniel had an open face roast chicken sandwich while I tried the chorizo and potato frittata. Jack had a ham and cheese sandwich with a smoothie. All of it was on the lighter side, but delicious.


As an added bonus, we saw a woman riding a horse down James Blvd. while we enjoyed our lunch on the patio.


Friday night we celebrated by going to eat dinner at Cracker Barrel (where Daniel got a free slice of chocolate cake)...


and then we went on a short night paddle to the Nickajack Bat Cave. It was a fun, low-key evening.


Saturday night I made Daniel grilled salmon (per his request)...


and my family's traditional pistachio birthday cake (per Jack's request).


Sunday was more birthday celebrations when we met up to celebrate Daniel's dad's wife's birthday at Provino's Italian Restaurant. Her kids brought a cake, so we had 3 days in a row of cake. Jack was in cake heaven!


Pistachio Cake Recipe
My mom has been making this cake for over 40 years.


Cake Ingredients
  • 1 white cake mix
  • 1 pistachio pudding mix
  • 3/4 cup oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup Sprite

Directions
  • Mix for 3 min.Pour into greased 9x13 pan.
  • Cook for 40 min. @ 350º (or 25 min if using 2 round 9" cake pans)
  • Cool cake before icing.

Icing Ingredients
  • 1 pistachio pudding mix
  • 1 1/4 cup milk
  • 8 oz cool whip

Directions
  • Mix milk and pudding until combined.
  • Add cool whip, then put on cake.
  • If making a layered cake, put layer of icing between cake layers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...