Saturday, November 29, 2014

Baby #2: Halfway There

I am officially halfway through this pregnancy (give or take days/weeks). Though if I am on time like I was with Jack, we are exactly 20 weeks out.

Anyways, I wanted to write about the similarities and differences of this pregnancy to that of my first. I had forgotten about parts of the experience, so I am thankful I kept weekly accounts of my first pregnancy as it helps jog my memory.

5 Weeks Pregnant

Similarities:
Daily shots. This is probably my least favorite aspect of being pregnant. Due to a blood clot (DVT and PE) I experienced 6 years ago, I have to give myself daily injections in my stomach. This time around they are cheaper because there is a generic option available. However, no matter what the pharmacist says about the syringes being produced in the same facility, for some reason the generic shot hurts more than the brand name. Maybe it is all in my head, but since I have to do these shots for such a long period, I am opting to pay a little more for brand name Lovenox.

Heartburn. This is the same and different. I am definitely having heartburn, but I think it was much worse when I was expecting Jack. According to old wives tales, this baby should have hair, but maybe not as much as Jack did?

9 Weeks Pregnant

Exercise. I am still exercising 4x a week during this pregnancy. With Jack I did Yoga twice a week and Kickboxing twice a week. This time I am doing Pump (a weight lifting class) on Mondays, BootCamp on Tues/Thurs and PiYo on Wednesdays. I am so thankful that I am able to work out through my pregnancies. Some days it is hard to go to the gym and I know I will be sore after, but it is much better than how I feel if I miss a workout. I have been modifying some, but not a whole lot. I can still do full body pushups (a couple weeks ago, I was able to do 100 during a one hour class). It feels good to feel strong.

Back Aches. I have started getting some lower back aches late in the day, which is similar to my first pregnancy. I am also starting to show more visibly, though I have not actually gained any weight, whereas I had gained about 6 pounds at this point before.

12 Weeks Pregnant

Cravings. No specific cravings for either pregnancy, though this time I discovered pickles helped with the metallic taste in my mouth (which I also experienced the first time around). 

Differences:
Carrying Lower? I think I am carrying lower. I feel more pressure lower, that is for sure.

Morning Sickness. I had zero morning sickness in my first pregnancy, but a lot of nausea and problems with an exacerbated gag reflex this time around that lasted about 6 weeks.

15 Weeks Pregnant

Emotions. This time has been a lot more of an emotional roller coaster for me. Most likely because of my previous miscarriage. Plus I think it is just harder emotionally to be pregnant once you are already responsible for another human being.

Tired. I feel more tired this time. Probably because I spend my days keeping up with a three year old. Also, my brain feels like mush. I haven't been reading, I haven't considered what the nursery will look like, and I haven't even begun to think about names for this kid.

18 Weeks Pregnant

Gender. This time we are choosing not to find out the gender of our baby. We aren't so afraid of becoming parents and feel some relief in not knowing everything. We are excited about the surprise that awaits us in April.

Kicks. I didn't really start feeling Jack until closer to 22 weeks and even then it was mild. He never kicked much. Upon delivery we learned that he had had his cord wrapped around his neck for a good portion of my pregnancy. This time I actually started to feel flutters about 2 weeks ago. Then this week there was more substantial movement. Last night I felt significant kicks, even with my hand on my belly. I have a feeling this child is going to be more rambunctious than our easy-going first born.

After eating Thanksgiving dinner
 
Light Headed. I don't remember feeling light headed with Jack, but I have been feeling light headed on a regular basis this time around.

Winter vs. Summer. This time it is colder and I have been sicker. I haven't enjoyed dealing with a lingering chest cold. But I am also thankful I'm not pregnant in the middle of a hot August.

I am sure there are other similarities and differences, this is just what I can think of off the top of my head. 20 more weeks to go!

20 Weeks Pregnant (TODAY!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...