Sunday, January 25, 2015

2015 Book 2: David and Goliath

A photo posted by Cheree Moore (@mo_haus) on
 
Book two for this year is by one of my favorite authors, Malcolm Gladwell. David and Goliath - Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants looks at how the little man (or weaker adversary) beats the expected winner in unexpected ways.

Gladwell offers that often the perceived weaker opponent can win whatever challenge they are facing by playing by a different set of rules. The premise being that David was a shepherd, used to fighting large animals with a sling, and not a soldier used to hand-to-hand combat like Goliath. He played by a different set of rules and ultimately defeated the giant.

The book is full of great examples from an unlikely girls basketball coach who utilized the full-court press to its full potential to tactics employed by Martin Luther King's inner circle to bring focus to the inequality in America.

As always, I enjoyed Gladwell's writing. Though toward the end of the book I felt like there was a lack of focus, but overall a good read.

I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...