Friday, April 03, 2015

Baby Update: 38 Weeks, Homestretch


At my weekly ultrasound and OB visit I learned that Baby#2 is currently measuring 7lbs 1oz (give or take half a pound) and has a large head. In addition, my amniotic fluid is 24cm this week (last week it was 25cm). The biggest concern right now is the baby's size, specifically the head. Jack had a big head and my OB had to use a vacuum to help deliver him. If this baby's head is already bigger, well, we don't want to wait too long to deliver.

The current plan is that we are going to induce on the baby's due date (April 18) but if I go into labor naturally, then that is all the better. It is kind of surreal to know that, at the most, we only have about 2 weeks before we meet Baby#2. Considering I have had continual Braxton Hicks since the 20 week mark I'm not sure what real contractions are going to feel like. My OB says that I will know. I hope so. I am currently 1.5cm dilated and 70% effaced, but it can take awhile to get to 4cm and there is no telling how long that will take. I'm praying that labor starts on its own before the due date rolls around. Jack came on a full moon, so maybe we will get lucky again?

My blood pressure continues to be low and swelling in my feet and legs, while existent, isn't too terrible. My twice-a-day Heparin shots leave painful welts under my skin which makes me more than ready to be done with this pregnancy. At the same time it is kind of hard to wrap my mind around the fact that a newborn will be here soon.

Daniel has been working long hours to wrap up some things before baby arrives, so we have been trying our best to make sure both of us spend as much quality time with Jack as we can. I know things are going to change and I want him to still feel like he is important. Thankfully the weather has been nice so we are spending lots of time at the playground.

Every night Jack prays the following prayer: 
Dear God, 
Thank your for this day.
Thank you for Mommy's baby, Jack's baby, and Daddy's baby.
Thank you for my friends.
Amen.


The best pregnancy comment from a stranger goes to the girl working the Dunkin Donuts drive through the other day: "Oh girl, you are glowing!" I was expecting the more typical, "You're huge!" or "Are you past your due date?" comments. This sweet girl's comment made my day.

Some friends and I were recently sharing our labor stories, which progressed to thinking about our "last" meals before labor and our "first" meal after delivery. This morphed into planning my last meal before I go to the hospital... got to make it a good one. With Jack we were grilling steaks when my water broke and I'm pretty sure my first post-baby meal was a piece of banana bread and a latte from Starbucks. Speaking of food, I feel famished all the time these days.
 
Baby #2, almost 38 Weeks

Comparison: 38 Weeks Pregnant with Jack

Overall speculation on gender continues to be girl, with a few holdouts for boy. Overall this has been a more difficult pregnancy, but in both pregnancies I have only gained weight in my belly, but that could be due to working out. I guess we will find out soon enough – I still don't have a clue!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...