Monday, May 27, 2013

Our First Bike Ride in Two Years


Two years ago Daniel and I took our last bike ride. I was 3 months pregnant and we did 10 miles on the roads close to our home. It was the last time I was on a bicycle.


Two months ago I found a baby carrier for a bicycle at a consignment sale that had all of the parts with it. For $15, I snapped it up. It had barely been used. Unfortunately we have had a lot of other things going on and Daniel needed to fix one of the shifters on his bike before we could hit the trails again.


Today he finally had the time to fix his bike and mount the baby carrier. So we took the opportunity of the gorgeous day to head to the Hays Nature Preserver in Jones Valley – about 45 minutes from our house on this side of Huntsville.


Before leaving the house, we did a practice run to make sure that Jack would tolerate being on the back of a bicycle. We stuck him in the carrier and he cried. I took a quick picture before Daniel took off down the driveway. Within moments, the tears turned to giggles. He loved it. 


They rode down the road and when they came back and dismounted, Jack cried because he was no longer sitting on the back of the bike.


Feeling confidant about a longer ride, we loaded the bikes and our gear while Jack anxiously tried to climb into the car.


We made it to the Hays Nature Preserve about 4:30pm and spent an hour and fifteen minutes exploring all of the connecting greenways (Big Cove, Hays Nature Preserve and the Flint River Greenways) as well as part of the horse/mountain biking trails that were throughout the preserve. 


We weren't planning on going off road, but the trails were too well maintained to not test the waters. 



We made it through some good mud pits and no one wrecked, so that is good :)


Jack had a blast. I think his favorite part of the experience was when Daniel went really fast. Daniel was impressed that he barely felt the bike carrier on the back of the bike. 


We were both thankful that Jack didn't balk at wearing his helmet for the entire trip and I'm pretty sure he was bummed when the ride was over.


We managed to bike a total of ~10 miles. It was a great way to end our long weekend and we can't wait to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...