Monday, April 07, 2014

Cooking with Pinterest.2

Here are my thoughts on the Pinterest recipes I tried last week:

Monday
Hawaiian Chicken and Rice via Elly Says Opa!


This dish wasn't that different from the Sweet and Sour Chicken I made a couple of weeks ago. Though I think I prefer the sauce in this version. For the stir fry part, I used an orange bell pepper instead of red and skipped the scallions. Also, I used the sauce from the chicken marinade to cook the veggies in. 


Overall, it was a pretty tasty dish. Jack loved the pineapple and chicken but still isn't a big fan of bell peppers.
Parent Score 4/5 | Toddler Score 4/5 


Wednesday
Gnocchi with Summer Vegetables via Martha Stewart


As I mentioned in my last post, I am a little smitten with Gnocchi. This was a perfect dish for spring. I added asparagus to the summer vegetables in the original recipe. This is a great meatless dish, but you could easily add chicken, sausage or even salmon if you wanted protein.


I have to admit I liked the last Gnocchi dish I made better. Jack ate most of what was on his plate after some coaxing. He even ate a bite of asparagus (we only require him to try things, not finish them). Another first for Jack is that he tried the raw cherry tomatoes while he helped me prepare dinner.
Parent Score 4.5/5 | Toddler Score 4/5 

Thursday
Slow Cooker Beef and Potato Stew via The Chic Site


Jack enjoyed helping me make this dish. He loves to stir whatever I am making and he helped (pretend) to peel the baby carrots. I accidentally used cream of onion soup instead of condensed onion soup, which could be why I thought it needed a tad more seasoning.


Also, I don't think the tip for thickening the stew with potato flakes was that great, if I made this recipe again, I would leave it out. 


Jack and Daniel both enjoyed this soup. I thought it could use a bit more seasoning, but other than that, definitely worth making. Jack told me he didn't like the potatoes, but he ate them as long as there were peas or carrots and meat on his spoon with them.
Parent Score 4/5 | Toddler Score 4/5 

Saturday
Secret Fruit Salad via Rachel Shultz 


Jack and Daniel inhaled this fruit salad. The secret ingredient is dry pudding mix and it makes an excellent glaze. I thought the salad was a bit too sweet for me, but it was definitely good. The tart raspberries help to even out the sweetness. I left out the blueberries and added pineapple (it was what I had on hand). I think any combination of fruit would be delicious.
Parent Score 5/5 | Toddler Score 5/5

Sunday
Roasted Red Pepper Alfredo via Damn Delicious



I don't often make dishes with Alfredo because I hate using sauce from a jar (too many preservatives) and Alfredo sauce always seems to be too heavy. This dish is super easy to make, the sauce is milk, cream and cheese. 


I didn't have goat cheese, so I used Colby-Jack instead. The peppers I used were from a jar and I think they were too acidic. If I made this again, I would roast a red pepper in the oven first. If you wanted to add protein, this dish would be good with chicken or even shrimp. Jack ate all of his plate. My main complaint is that it left a bad after taste in my mouth (probably from the jarred peppers).
Parent Score 3/5 | Toddler Score 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...