Saturday, February 13, 2016

Freelance Mama

On occasion I talk about freelancing and even use the hashtag freelance mama on Instagram, but I recently realized that a) not everyone knows what that means, and b) sometimes my parents are curious about my work. So I have decided to use this little space to periodically update about projects I am working on.

In the graphic design world (especially if you freelance part time) it is really feast or famine. Meaning I am either working crazy hours (while juggling my mommy responsibilities), or I am in a lull and enjoying the calm before the next storm.

I have been really bad about updating my portfolio in recent years, so maybe this will become an extension of that. At the very least, I will be able to look back and see what I was doing at this phase of my life.

Right now I am in a slower phase (which is a blessing since Daniel has been working nights for the last 14 days). Here is a glimpse of some of the projects I have been working on. 


This is a textbook I am working on for Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte, NC. It is the biggest project I have taken on to date. A big part of this project, besides designing the 300+pages, is keeping everyone on track so that I get content in a timely manner. Managing the proofing process is also lots of fun. We are about halfway through this year-long project right now. May is the target print date.


This is an Annual Report I am in the process of wrapping up for The Crossnore School in Crossnore, NC. The Crossnore School is non-profit residential foster care home for children in crisis. This is the third year I have created their Annual Report. 


An example from a recent ad campaign for The Crossnore School. Once concepts are approved, the ads are sent to various publications throughout the region and run for several months before we move on to the next campaign.


Ad created for Ascend Federal Credit Union, located in Tullahoma, TN. Ascend is a client that I take on overflow work for throughout the year.


Logo designed for the blog Stroll Through the South, located in Huntsville, AL.

As you can see, right now my projects vary from very corporate to smaller, local businesses. Last month I also wrapped up a catalog for a media company located in Chattanooga, TN as well as sold a personal design for a sign project. In the freelance world, you never know what you will have on your plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...